November 30, 2008

procrastination is highly underrated

There are several ways to avoid doing work that I can think of. One is to spend hours youtubing your life away. Another is to convince yourself that today is the obvious day to tackle cleaning that absurd closet you have been avoiding cleaning for 2 years. You also need to call your Grandmother, sister, 15th cousin... Maybe you should meditate for an hour or so. Now you need a nap. Maybe after you eat something (and it probably involves cheese product or tater tots in some fashion or another) you'll feel better and more focused. You should watch the rain for a few minutes, it is really soothing. Don't forget to walk the dog an extra mile. Read everything in your house except the article you need to be reading, then move on to the latest internet gossip about Lindsay Lohan's gayness which is really important when you consider the lack of long-haired lesbians being stalked by the paparazzi (sorry Portia, but since you are actually out, it's just not as amusing.) Maybe you should organize your thoughts for a bit while taking the longest bath in history. Now you need to do the dishes. A side note: if you live alone, you procrastinate more because no one reminds you that you are procrastinating and you only have your conscience to deal with. After a while, your conscience gets confused and it too begins rationalizing procrastination. Besides, isn't the voice in your head just your voice anyway? 

Some people are particularly poor at it: they have their papers done 2 weeks ahead of schedule, they have your birthday gift for next year 4 days after your current birthday, and they most definitely get a sick sense of gratification from writing lists and crossing off accomplishments in planners. My lists are all in my head so I don't have to see the hard evidence of the tasks I am avoiding. Why are those people always commended for "productivity"? I mean, isn't it just as productive to do exactly what you feel like doing? Okay, maybe not by society's standards- you should all be producers, consumers, producers... I deserve an award for breaking the cycle boldly and without the slightest degree of guilt for letting the system down! I could compete with the best of procrastinators, putting off a particular project or item for literal months. I often wonder if I really just don't want to do it or if I just put it off because I can. That's right folks... rebelling against the organized is quite the hobby. Is procrastination a hobby? It might be, it's something I like to do to pass the time. I don't think it is laziness necessarily, it's more like inverse OCD.

Maybe all the things I am avoiding are just boring. That could be the case: why always blame the procrastinator and not blame the boring task?! Or maybe I am a masochist and I like to rush around right before something is due to complete it. I might just work better when I am under pressure, and am otherwise bored with the pace of life. When you look at it that way it makes the organized seem weak and incapable of true multitasking.

 I think I like that angle.





1 comment:

LaRicaine said...

More ways to procrastinate: write blogs, read others' blogs (especially those of people you don't know). I think I'm becoming an expert in "frittering" away time, I wouldn't exactly call it procrastination, since I don't really have anything to DO...it's like putting off getting a life.